Tuesday, April 27, 2010

words of encouragement from a mentor (part 1)

I wrote to my old high school calculus teacher last week and was giving him an update on what I do right now. Here's part of what I told him, keep in mind that we both have rather sarcastic and self-deprecating and demeaning senses of humor, all at once. The necessary background story is that I was his student aide during my senior year of high school, which meant that we went to the library for 80 minutes every day, and he ate cake and chatted with other teachers while I did all his grading.

Me: "Your slave driving abilities have served me well this semester actually, as I am the slave for my cadet company right now. I'm the "administrative officer" and the company commander seems to think that means "gee, Gib can do all my [undesirable] work and paperwork that I don't really feel like doing." I have an assistant, but you know how good assistants are (unless it's me). Fortunately today is Administrative Professionals Day and everyone has brought me flowers and chocolates and wants to buy me drinks tonight for all the work I do for them. I guess it's always nice to dream..." (John, if you read this that's not what I actually think goes through your head)

He responded in his usual timely manner (a week later): "I knew you would end up a glorified secretary. You attend West Point and leave with the same job skills you have gotten completing an online secretarial correspondence course."

Gee thanks Mr. B.

He also claims to read my blog, so now I get to see if he actually does!

No comments:

Post a Comment