Thursday, April 29, 2010

honor code


Our Cadet Honor Code reads: "a cadet will not lie, cheat, steal or tolerate those who do." It is no doubt an idealistic notion that we would abide completely by this, but I like to think that we do pretty well in our endeavors to live as honorable cadets. For those who violate the code, you can either admit to your wrongdoing and take the punishment, or there is an investigation and trial process to determine guilt or innocence and recommend punishment. Punishment has historically been separation (i.e. you get kicked out), but that has become the exception instead of the rule in recent years. The focus is shifting towards rehabilitation instead of punishment, although punishment is still handed out in the form of a 6 or 12 month delay in graduation. For the most part, I think the process is fair and carried out correctly, and there are of course some issues that could use some work, but the Honor Code is a good thing to have and goes a long way to instill a character trait that officers should have.

I thought that I might go all four years without being directly involved with or affected by the honor process, but it appears as if my time has run out. I shouldn't talk too much about details since the matter is under investigation and someone's life is definitely going to be affected by this, but the short of it is that I asked someone about their age because they were doing something that required them to be a certain age and a friend of mine told me that he wasn't that certain age, and he responded that he was that certain age. The next day, my friend talked to the someone about the situation and the someone is doing the right thing (in my opinion)- admitting his wrongdoing and turning himself in for the violation. Because he is admitting to the offense, there won't be a full-blown investigation and trial, but there will be a "cadet advisory board" that reviews the situation, fills out some paperwork, and recommends a punishment (if any).

1 comment:

  1. I like the part about not tolerating those who do. I think that's the part of individual ethics that often people forget.

    ReplyDelete